The ultimate test of your business can be found in a simple question: would someone want to buy your business?
Whether you want to sell next year or a decade from now, you must be building an asset someone would buy – otherwise, you have a job, not a business.
Here are eight ways to ensure you are building a business, not just doing a job:
- A job requires you to show up at work to make money, whereas a business generates turnover whether you are there or not.
- If your business is so reliant on a single customer that they can dictate how you deliver your product or service, your business is more like a job than a valuable business.
- A job is a place where your personal reputation impacts your results, whereas a business is a place where the brand is more important than the personality of the founder(s).
- A job requires you to use your personal experience and expertise to get a result, whereas a business is a place where a process – not a person – consistently produces a desirable result.
- In a job, you get fired for taking too much vacation, whereas if you own a business, the more vacation you can take without impacting your business’s performance, the more valuable your business will be.
- In a job, the harder you work, the more money you earn. In a business, the smarter you work, the more money you earn.
- In a job, you solve the problems. If you own a business, your employees solve the problems.
- If the majority of your customers know your mobile phone number, it’s likely you have a job, not a business.
If you’re not sure whether you have a job or own a business, it’s time to get your Sellability Score. Whether you want to sell now or in a decade, the Sellability Score assessment allows you to see your business as a buyer would see it, and to identify how you perform on each of the eight key drivers of sellability.
The Value Builder Score questionnaire takes about 13 minutes to complete, and after you’re finished you’ll get a customized 27-page report outlining how you performed and where you could improve the value and sellability of your business. Get your score now.